Preparing for Court

Items you will need for Court:

  • Proper identification (driver's license, Wisconsin ID, passport)
  • Your copy of the citation
  • Appearance letter and/or court documents
  • Any receipts regarding your case (i.e., bond receipts, cash bail receipts, etc.)
  • Any documents which prove compliance with the judge's orders and/or sentencing
  • Method of payment (cash, credit card, checkbook, debit card)
  • Do not use nicknames or an alias. Use the same spelling as listed on documents related to your case and ensure spelling on the documents is correct. If they are not, please advise the court
  • Provide the court with your current address
  • Appropriate dress is required which includes shirts and shoes. No obscene slogans on clothing. Hats must be removed and cell phones must be silenced before entering the courtroom

Initial Appearance

If you receive a Village of Mt. Pleasant traffic, municipal or parking citation and believe you are "Not Guilty"

You must either appear in person on the hearing date at the time listed on the top of the citation, or you must send a letter to the court stating that you are "not guilty" of the violation prior to the court date. All letters to the court must list the citation number(s) contained in the top right hand corner as well as the date of the court hearing. If you enter a "not guilty" plea by letter, the court will send you notice of the next court date via first class mail to the address provided in your letter.

All letters and other correspondence to the court must be addressed to "Municipal Court Clerk" and must be mailed to:

Mount Pleasant Municipal Court
8811 Campus Drive
Mount Pleasant, WI 53406

Pre-Trial and Trial

If you enter a "not guilty" plea at the initial appearance, the court will enter your "plea" on that date, and assign you a pre-trial date. You must appear in person on that date at the assigned time. You cannot handle your pre-trial by letter or phone.

At the pre-trial you will meet with the Village Attorney in an attempt to resolve your case and you will have the opportunity to discuss the circumstances surrounding your citation(s). At the pre-trial you can decide whether you will need to have an additional proceeding before the judge. Not all cases go before the judge. If you decide that you would like to continue your case before the judge, the citation(s) will be set for trial.

You may have an attorney represent you at any time, but you are not required to have representation. If you do want representation, it is your responsibility to retain an attorney. The Public Defender's Office does not represent individuals in Municipal Court.

The Village of Mt. Pleasant VILLAGE ATTORNEY'S OFFICE represents only the Village during the initial appearance, pre-trial and trial in Municipal Court.

The VILLAGE ATTORNEY'S OFFICE will not discuss your citation(s) with you at any time other than on your scheduled court dates.

Failure to Appear

Failure to appear at any of your initial appearance, pre-trial or trial dates will result in a default judgment being entered against you. A fine will be imposed and you will be given 60 days to pay the fine. If you are unable to pay the fine on or before the due date, you may request an indigency hearing by contacting the court before the due date. 

Failure to pay could result in the Court: (1) suspending your driving privileges, and/or (2) issuing a commitment for you to serve in the Racine County Jail at the rate of 1 day for every $50 of the forfeiture amount that remains unpaid, and/or (3) sending an intercept notice to the State of Wisconsin to seize your tax refund and/or (4) referring your debt to DOR State Debt Collection.  Pursuant to Wis. Stats. Sec. 71.93(8): if your debt is not paid on time, the debt will be referred to a DOR agent for collection action. A delinquent collection fee of 15% of the unpaid balance or $35.00, whichever is greater, will be added to your account. Collection action may include one or all of the following, some of which result in additional fees being added to your account: interception of your Wisconsin tax refunds, attachment of wages or other compensation being paid to you, garnishment, seizure or levy against your property, including bank accounts and IRAs, filing a delinquent tax warrant with the Clerk of Courts in the county in which you reside and/or own property.  This warrant will act as judgment and lien on any real and personal property that you own and may affect your credit rating.