- You are here:
- Police Department
- Citizen's Police Academy
- Citizen's Police Academy Rules
Citizen's Police Academy Rules
In order to provide our citizen's academy successfully, we must apply the following policies and rules to the program:
1. The Citizen Police Academy is open to residents of, or people who work in, the Village of Mount Pleasant who are 18 years of age or older. We also encourage the spouses of Mount Pleasant Police Department employees to participate in this program.
2. The Citizen Police Academy will run for 12 consecutive weeks from 6pm to 9pm in the Police Department training room. There will be three additional four hour Saturday session to allow for more hands on experiences. At the completion of the Citizen Police Academy, participants will also be given the opportunity to ride along with an officer on duty
3. Class structure will include lecture, demonstrations, and workshops where the participants will have the opportunity to use police department equipment and tactics. Some of the workshops can be physically challenging.
4. If you should be unable to attend a session, every effort shall be made to provide you with a copy of the handouts of the missed session.
5. Due to limited class size to ensure as much hands-on training as possible, attendance will be limited to twenty qualified applicants. The Mount Pleasant Police Department reserves the right to refuse an application for Citizen Police Academy. Participation in the Citizen Police Academy may be terminated at any time at the discretion of the Citizen Police Academy Coordinator, Captain David Stroupe.
6. This training is not designed to certify citizens to perform law enforcement services. Its purpose is to enhance community relations and provide citizens with insights on the criminal justice system.
7. The forum for the Citizens Police Academy is not designed to stage debate on police department policies, but to inform and answer questions citizens may have.
8. Applicants will be asked to review and sign a liability waiver prior to participating in the Citizens Police Academy.
Upon completion of the Citizen Police Academy Program, participants will receive a certificate of completion.
Class size will be limited to 20 participants. If you are interested in attending the Citizens Police Academy, please follow the link for an application.
You may also email Captain David Stroupe or email Officer Matt Prochaska with additional questions or to receive an application.