Position Opening – Village Attorney
External Job Posting
This position represents and advises Village leadership, employees, and elected officials in civil matters, responds to legal inquiries; renders legal assistance and opinions; litigates cases; prosecutes cases in Municipal Court, drafts policies, procedures, ordinances, resolutions, contracts and legal documents; serves as chief legal advisor to the Village President, Village Trustees and Village departments; and conducts all the legal business in which the Village has an interest.
BASIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises Village departments, employees, boards and commissions on various legal issues and determines lawful means by which the Village can achieve its goals.
- Explains the legal consequences of proposed actions and their foreseeable risks which requires extensive legal research and interpretation of laws and regulations.
- Prepares and reviews contracts, leases, deeds, easements and other legal documents as well as invitations to bid packets and requests for proposals.
- Prosecutes contested ordinance violations in Municipal Court, and represents the Village on appeal in Circuit Court, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court when applicable.
- Reviews the Village Code for compliance updates with State or Federal laws, or if additional Village ordinances have been identified.
- Drafts ordinances, ordinance amendments, and repeals to existing ordinances for departmental approval.
- Prepares resolutions for Village Board agenda items.
- Attends meetings as legal counsel on behalf of the Village when necessary.
- Provides training for employees on legal topics as needed.
- Prepares and amends policies and procedures for the Village Board’s consideration.
- Responds to citizen inquiries, complaints, and requests from media.
- Researches legal issues including interpreting laws, regulations, ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Prepares various reports for completed tasks, prepares annual goals for the department, and assists in the preparation of the Legal Department budget.
- Will act as Village Administrator as necessary.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited school of law and at least five (5) years’ experience in the practice of law.
- Must possess license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin.
- Previous experience in the field of municipal law, including both in a general municipal capacity and as a prosecutor.
REQUIRED JOB COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of general municipal, state and federal laws, rules and regulations affecting village government.
- Knowledge of established precedents and sources of legal references applicable to village activities.
- Knowledge of village ordinances, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods of legal research and sources of legal research.
- Knowledge of judicial procedure and rules of evidence.
- Skill in analyzing, appraising, and organizing facts, evidence and precedents in determining the various aspects and alternatives to cases.
- Skill in proposing and presenting cases in an effective manner.
- Skill in analyzing complex administrative information and issues, defining problems and evaluating alternatives and recommending methods, procedures and techniques for resolution of issues.
- Ability to research and analyze detailed information and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor.
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
- Knowledge of local government organization and its departmental operating requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and prepare organizational and functional reports from research data.
- Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time, salaried position. The position includes a competitive benefits package and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System.
The wage for the Village Attorney position is $131,647 - $144,808 and will commensurate with experience of chosen candidate.
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to Carol Thiel, HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
This position was posted February 23, 2021.
The Village of Mount Pleasant is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SEASONAL JOB OPENING ~
Compost Site Attendant
Reports To: Public Works Highway Manager
Job Purpose: To greet and direct Village residents as they enter the Compost Site. This position is situated at the Village of Mt Pleasant Compost Site located North of Hwy 20 at West Road. It is the responsibility of the attendant to check those entering the site with their yard waste.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gives direction to residents on where to drop off their yard waste
- Keeps an accurate count of vehicles that enter the site.
- Check vehicles upon entering Compost Center for Village sticker pass authorizing access
Requirements of Position:
- Must be at least 18 years of age to apply
- Prompt and reliable attendance
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to carry out written and oral instructions
- Ability to interact in an agreeable way with the public
- Assist residents as needed
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Occasional lifting of up to 50+ pounds may be required
- Position required early April to early December
- Saturdays only – 8:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Interested candidates may apply by submitting their application (available on our website at www.mtpleasantwi.gov) or resume, with a cover letter to: Carol Thiel, HR Director at email@example.com
This posting will remain in effect until the position is filled.
The Village of Mount Pleasant is an Equal Opportunity Employer 03/02/21
The Mount Pleasant Police Department is taking applications for Police Officer to fill vacancies and to establish an Eligibility List.
This is an ongoing recruitment effort.